Enhance the Romance with Spot and Mood Lighting in Your Bedroom20th November
When designing (or re-designing) a bedroom you’ll often focus on the big things – the furniture pieces, the bed, the décor. But it’s the little things that really make a difference. Combine all the little additions to your room and you’ll transform it into something magical.
All the little changes (or additions) you make to your bedroom can be used to enhance it – whether you’re trying to create a relaxing mood, a practical design or something romantic. You might want to consider some of these design additions before you even start the planning process. Lighting, for example, could be used for a variety of reasons – practical lighting for applying make-up, relaxed lighting for curling up with a good book or up-lighting to highlight a particular design feature. There are plenty of bedroom lighting options and how you choose to use them could make a significant difference to the look and feel of your final design.
Making Your Room Your Own
Your bedroom is probably the most personal room in your home. With the exception of your close family, there’s probably no one else that will ever see it – at least not regularly. So designing your bedroom is a personal experience and a matter of personal taste.
The lighting options you choose will make a big difference. Whether you’re looking to create an overall mood in your room or a specific feel for a certain area e.g. a reading nook, you can use bedroom lighting to achieve your desired effect.
- Relaxing & Reading – many of us use our bedroom as a refuge from the world – a place to escape from the everyday hustle and bustle and unwind from the stresses of the day. Unwinding with a good book is often a preferred relaxation technique. If your bedroom design is going to include a reading nook or if you prefer to curl up in bed with a good book, then reading lights might be an essential addition to the design. The addition of a spot light, adjustable reading light or even a bedside lamp could make a world of difference – creating a comfortable and relaxing area where you can easily slip into your book and forget your worries.
- Creating an Ambience – with the design of your bedroom you’re probably looking to create a certain ambience. Whether it’s just a relaxing atmosphere or something warm and welcoming or something more romantic – whatever you’re doing you can use lighting to both enhance and complement the mood. Dimmable lighting, up-lighting, under-bridge lighting and other subtle lighting options will help you achieve your desired end goal. Alternatively, if you like a light, bright and airy room, you may choose strong and bright lighting options to ensure your bedroom is always just the way you like it.
- A Dash of Prestige – redesigning your bedroom is no mean feat. If you’re opting for a full redesign then you’re probably investing a sizable amount of money in it. Modern bedroom designs often incorporate smooth, clean lines, subtle design features and a high-quality finish. Appropriately complementary lighting can be an excellent way to finish off the design. Use lighting to highlight and emphasise the best bits of your design – don’t ruin the feel of the new décor with ghastly strip lighting or overpowering overhead lighting.
- Practical Wardrobe Lighting – for finding the right item of clothing or choosing the best pair of shoes specialised interior wardrobe lighting is the perfect solution. This sort of practical lighting can help enhance the design of your room while making it easy to find what you’re looking for when you need to. Better than just a practical addition to your room, this sort of lighting will also help highlight key design features of your bedroom.
- Overhead & Over-bed Lighting – If you’re considering overhead and over-bed storage as part of your bedroom design then this is another area where you can use lighting to highlight and enhance your design. These sort of lighting options also have the added benefit of enhancing the light around your bed – perfect for reading and relaxing before a good night’s sleep.
- Mirror Lighting – mirrors can really transform a bedroom. Similarly, appropriately and cleverly placed lighting can transform, highlight and enhance mirrors to add further to the design of your bedroom.
There are many things you can do to emphasise the design of your bedroom. Lighting isn’t something you should overlook. It’s an excellent way to really finish off a room.
- Spare room? Transform it into a stylish walk in
- Interior Stylist Hannah Cork Talks Layered Grey
- Create the Marbled Look by Hannah Cork
- My Dream Walk In Wardrobe by Josie | Fashion Mu
- Create the global look in your home office with
- Making a feature of characterful sloping ceilin
- Interior Stylist Hannah Cork Talks Millennial P
- Create the Natural Sleek look with Hannah Cork
- A perfect fit for a spare room and its guests
- Create a chic, timeless look With Hannah Cork
- Can a home office be a bedroom too?
- Create The Global Look With Hannah Cork
Keep up to date with our latest news, style ideas and what is inspiring us